Sunday, June 10, 2012

Beautiful People: Queen Mesalinde Eldan



This blog post is prompted by the Beautiful People challenge by Georgie and Sky Penn. The purpose of this blog post is to interview the villain of my newest story, Her Majesty Mesalinde Eldan. 

Katie McGrath from BBC's Merlin possesses similar features to my villain

1. What is their motive? 
She thinks that any Fae who would dare to fall in love with a mortal is disgusting and perverted, so she takes steps to make sure any such romance is outlawed.

2. What are they prepared to do to get what they want? 
Even though her son fell in love with a mortal, she disowns him and banishes him, to serve as an example to any others who would dare to follow his path. She believes that personal feelings should never stand in the way of the law, even if it is a law that she penned herself.

3. Are they evil to the core, or simply misunderstood? 

She wouldn't think of herself as evil: she draws on what she sees to be true social issues, and because her son has gone against what she sees as moral, she condemns him.
 

4. What was their past like? What about their childhood? Was there one defining moment that made them embrace their evil ways?

Her brother was killed by frightened mortals in the fourth century : he cast a weak glamour, and they discovered him, burning him at the stake as a witch. This moment made her fear and detest all mortals.


5. Now that they’re evil, have they turned their back on everyone, or is there still someone in their life that they care for? (Brother? Daughter? Love interest? Mother? Someone who is just as evil as they are?)

She still cares for her son, but she tries to bury her affections for him because of what he has done. Mesalinde feels deep affection for her many adopted children, and enjoys inviting them over to her apartments when she is not dealing with politics.


6. Do they like hugs?

Yes, she does. She especially likes to have group hugs with her grandchildren, and often one or two will sit in her lap while she tells them stories.

7. Are they plagued by something? (Nightmares, terrible thoughts?)

She is haunted by her brother's death, and her banished son. Because her brother's death allowed her to ascend the throne, she still feels guilt.


8. Who are they more similar to: Gollum or Maleficent?

I would say, strange as it seems to me, she is more like Gollum than Maleficent. She is not slimy or fish-eating. Instead, it is her outlook on the world and narrow views that make her the villain of my story.


9. If your villain could have their choice of transportation what would it be?

She would most likely choose a red dragon. However, she would settle for a black Jaguar in a pinch.


10. If you met your villain in the street, how afraid would you be? Are they evil enough to kill their creator?

She would probably ignore me: I am an insignificant mortal, after all.

This questionnaire really helped me to get a more complete view of my villain in my story, The Eaters of Sorrow and Chaos. I'm not sure how much of this knowledge I will incorporate into my story, but I will certainly write her point-of-view differently from now on!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog! It looks like we have a lot in common!!! I've really enjoyed looking through your blog and finding out more about your villain! I'd love for you to visit my other two blogs - http://oftrimsandfrillsandfurbelows.blogspot.com and http://alexandra-thebreathingsofmyheart.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this interview! Of all the villians for this link up, I think you're one of the most original. No one's villians like hugs... wonder why... ;)

    ReplyDelete