Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mokona is Mokona!: a sewing tutorial

I recently made a small creature from the manga/anime Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle as a present for my brother.
I'd like to introduce you to Mokona...Larg Mokona, to be exact.

source

He took only a night to make, not counting the time taken for his paint to dry, and turned out very well.

Items needed:
Paper
Black fleece (a quarter of a meter) for body and legs
Pink fleece (a quarter of a meter)  for markings
Magenta felt (one sheet) for the mouth
Blue craft jewel (about three centimeters in diameter)
Fabric glue
White fabric paint (for eyes)

 First, I made a pattern. I drew and cut out a large oval on the paper for the body, as well as a leg, an arm, and an ear. I allowed plenty of room for seams,. Then I traced these parts onto the black felt.

For the ears, I put the black fleece on top of the pink fleece, so his ears would have pink undersides. Then I cut everything out, and began sewing.
I sewed each limb separately, stuffed them, then moved on to the body.

 I measured and marked the oval with chalk where each limb would be sewn on. Sewing slowly around the circumference of the body, I inserted each limb when I came to its marking, angling them so that when I turned Mokona right-side-out, his ears, arms and legs would be securely attached, without a hint of a seam. I stuffed Mokona, then sewed up his bottom seam by hand.

After finishing his body, I moved on to his face. After cutting out a mouth from the magenta felt, I hand-stitched it onto the face, then painted half-moon arcs for his laughing eyes. I glued on the jewel last of all, and let him dry. Mokona took only a night to make, not counting the time taken for his paint to dry, and turned out very well.



Here he is, finished and sitting in my brother's armchair.

Hope you enjoyed my tutorial!

No comments:

Post a Comment