Monday, October 31, 2011

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson


The Haunting of Hill House is a classic Halloween story.
Four very different people meet at Hill House, at the behest of Dr. John Montague, who is conducting a ghost-watch at the gothic mansion. Just after her mother's death, Eleanor Vance, who experienced poltergeist  activity as a child, is summoned because  of her connection with the supernatural. Also summoned are artist Theodora and wealthy inheritor of Hill House, Luke. All four will be changed by Hill House, that's for certain. But after they inhale its mysteries and taste its ghosts, will the house let them go unharmed?

The Haunting of Hill House is a favorite of mine. It never ceases to thrill me, surprise me, and send shivers down my spine.

1 comment:

  1. I never read the book, but loved both versions of the movie, especially Julie Harris.

    I have to say, I love your book list. Along with some old favorites, I noticed a couple I haven't read (besides Hill House). I may just need to take a trip over to the used book store.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete