Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Hanging Tree: fan song of the month

 I keep coming across fan videos of this lovely song lately.
It hails from Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay, and is a sad ballad about a young man who was hanged by the officials for allegedly murdering three people. After he is cut down, he calls out to his love from beyond the grave.

First I found Sam Cushion's melody. Cushion is the composer of the Unofficial Hunger Games soundtrack (also available on Youtube) and is somewhat of a celebrity within the Hunger Games fandom.


The next arrangement I chanced upon was by a band called Poko Lambro, also on Youtube. It is slightly faster, and the singer has a hauntingly beautiful voice.


There are many more fan versions of this song on Youtube, and I could spend all day telling you about them, but I'll let you find them yourself. In the meantime, here are the words to The Hanging Tree.

THE HANGING TREE

Are you, are you coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the Hanging Tree

Are you, are you coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out for his love to flee
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the Hanging Tree

Are you, are you coming to the tree
Where I told you to run so we'd both be free
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the Hanging Tree

Are you, are you coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the Hanging Tree

-Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never sbobet
    seem to get there! Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete