Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"bike helmits required"

source for photo

crisp fall leaves crunch under my heels
and the wind is changing
as i walk from my car to the trailhead
a sign marks the start of the path

i run my fingers across a scrape
in the metal and smile at one of the rules
(misspelled) "bike helmits required"
a sign that we are all human.

a red star on the map
"YOU ARE HERE" it shouts
not wanting to be missed by
a less-than-sharp eye.

the small eager star is important
because it is a challenge
shouting in the dark
into the oblivion of anonymity:
 
"i am here. i am at the beginning. i am moving forward."

 

10 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late comment Abigail..I am so glad I cycled on over here today..as usual you have made a small detail of life so pertinent so beautifully interesting..and I love the image..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a pessimistic optimist I would tend to disbelieve the accuracy of the star after I saw the spelling error, but continue as if it were accurate anyway. Interesting take :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivid imagery - you took me There with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the small eager star is important
    because it is a challenge
    shouting in the dark
    into the oblivion of anonymity:"

    I especially love these lines. Well crafted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful piece here. I enjoy the journey and the adventure and the encouragement to go on. Here's my picnic entry: http://mysticmarleei.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/mothering-nature/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proceed with caution. Wonderful write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am following your words here, well penned imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such wonderful images and such a great way to express your feeling you really draw your reader in and take them with you such a great imagery
    http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/10/25/changing-lands/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am totally awed by ypur observations and the way you pour them into shape :)

    ReplyDelete