Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fallen (or Don't judge a book by its cover)


It was the cover art that grabbed me. The dark color palette, the dramatic texturing of draped tafetta against trees, the girl's pose (OK, I admit it, she reminded me of a Weeping Angel). I skimmed the blurb on the back cover, and cracked it open.

I expected the material inside to be as exciting as the cover appeared. It did not reward my hopes.
The story began with a prologue, which proceed to rob the book of all its mystery. It told the story of two people who could never be together- the girl would die the instant she got too close to the guy, who turned out to be a fallen angel.

Lucinda-the girl- made her entrance in the first chapter. She's had to enroll in a reform school, after her friend died in a fire that turned out to be deliberate. That wouldn't have caused suspicion to rest naturally on Lucinda- except for the fact that she can't keep quiet about the 'shadows' that follow her everywhere.

The reform school turns out to be filled (if you can call it filled, more like stacked) with barely fleshed-out stereotypical characters... the cheerleader, the nerd, the bullying princess, the rebel...
She is attracted to Cam, (stereotypical bad-boy character), but more intrigued by the mysterious Daniel (stereotypical mysterious-hero-with-a-tragic-history).
 He (surprise, surprise) turns out to be a fallen angel- and Cam is on the other side of the fallen bad-guy angels. 

This was a story that dragged so slowly that by the end, its heels were covered with mud. It was so predictable that I wanted to put it down, but I really, really hate stopping in the middle of a story, even it's as bad as this one was. It was a weak attempt to jump on the paranormal-romance-adventure (you could almost delete the adventure bit) bandwagon.
 I won't be reading anything else by this author- there are better ways to waste your time.

3 comments:

  1. Ick, sounds weird. And why oh why does the bad boy have to be named Cam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminds me of Fire by Kristin Cashore. It dragged terribly and felt as though it NEVER, EVER reached an ending.
    ...Well, there were other problems, too, but I could rant on those all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I judge books by their covers all the time. When I go into a bookstore I spy out the interesting-looking covers first. Then I judge the book by the little description at the back.
    It's a habit. Can't help it.
    : )
    btw, nice blog.

    ReplyDelete