Sunday, May 15, 2011

the salmon run

upward I swim
undulating tail fins,
pectoral fins
rainbow scales
are my armour
against the buffeting
of rock and wave
no surrender
no surrender
I'll soon be home

essence of my birth stream guides me
the unseen hook
in my nostrils
drawing on me
in the hopes that
the place where I was born
will soon see my new children
no surrender
no surrender
I'll soon be home

Waterfall sends
the foremost swimmers into
spasms of delight
and they fly up into the blue
It is my turn
and I leap onward through jets of foam
that drag me down
no surrender
no surrender
I'll soon be home

16 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Awesome. My potluck: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/protect/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... I really like the repition of the last three lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful piece... I can feel the struggle onward, knowing if I swim hard enough, I will soon be home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely one--no surrender only strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That repeated no surrender certainly shows how determined they are. Beautiful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely - the repeated 'no surrender' was so powerful - like an ancient song passed on to find home..beautiful and full of wisdom..as always..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the imagery and repitition

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the repetition 'no surrender'. This is quite a lovely piece of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some Schubert would go along well with that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply gorgeous poem. Imagery, feelings, determination - all there. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trying hard to put my arms into the fins of the salmon - food for thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fighting back, struggle, to resist surrender!
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. welcome,
    what a dramatic and passionate piece.

    blessings, homecoming is near.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this - I can picture them, determined, swimming against the current, droplets glistening in the sunlight. Wonderful imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely tale of returning "home."

    ReplyDelete