Sunday, February 6, 2011

Euphoria

(photo courtesy Wikicommons)

Snow wafts to the earth
like swan feathers
from heaven
the road is obscured
by eggwhite-peak drifts
as if it never existed

My terrier darts
leaps
frolicks
Flakes lodge in tufts of
his shaggy hair
as he licks up
ice crystals like candy
and something of his enthusiasm
passes to me.

I listen to the quiet
I'm cold
but instead of shivering
I dance
hold out my tongue to catch a few
of the drifting snowflakes
A few cloud my glasses' lenses
but that is a small price
to pay
for euphoria.

8 comments:

  1. There is something magical about snowfall. Its first appearance is a delight but sadly that delight is short lived as the inconvenience sinks in. Mind you I don't recall the dogs we have owned ever being disappointed to see the snow still there each day long after it has become a chore for us.

    A euphoric post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail, this makes me miss the snow, but then
    I remember the coldness. Nice poem:)

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, absolutely perfect visuals of my experience too! I loved it! Brought a smile to my face, and warmth to my heart! Well done... you are indeed good writer!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a gift for imagery Abigail..makes me feel like I'm dancing there with you in the snow..simply beautiful and engaging..Jae :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your descriptions, especially...
    'the road is obscured
    by eggwhite-peak drifts
    as if it never existed'
    Nice imagery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful, decriptive poem of romantic snow. Lovely! My reality is 7 or 8 foot piles or drifts all around, and 3 foot 6 inches on the flat.
    Minus 28 celsius, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I love the snow.

    ReplyDelete