Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Small Alice Obsession

When I was about eight or nine years old, I was obsessed (and I really do mean OBSESSED) with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol.

I read it about once a week, and could practically quote the whole thing from memory. I reread it just recently, and fell in love with it all over again. The insane plot, the crazy logic games, the wacky cast of characters...there's never been another book to compare with it. It's completely unique, and completely MAD.
I'm also a fan of the Tim Burton movie, the Looking Glass Wars trilogy, and anything Alice-related. I've got Alice folders, a Red Queen t-shirt...an annotated copy of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland.
Just this past weekend, I hung this poster in my room:

Great, isn't it?
I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the book.

`In THAT direction,' the Cat said, waving its right paw round, `lives a Hatter: and in THAT direction,' waving the other paw, `lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad.'
`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
-From Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

1 comment: