Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dancer

(The Star [Dancer on Stage]) by Edgar Degas

I wait in the wings
my breath like butterflies in my throat
I hear my cue
that faint lilt of flutes
and before I can think
I pirouette onto the stage
Like an autumn leaf
I twirl, releve and grand jete
leaping like some deer in a forest glade
my breaths come easier now
but then my dance is almost done
A quick hop to on pointe
raise one toe in arabesque
And then I am caught,
like a bird as it rises from the earth
and seeks the stars
Was it the sound of the orchestra?
or the joy of this dance?
I do not know.
But for whatever reason,
as I stand in arabesque,
I add an acrobatic leap
to my dance
(although I have never before tried)
and I fly.

7 comments:

  1. I wait in the wings
    my breath like butterflies in my throat
    I hear my cue
    that faint lilt of flutes

    you blow me away with your poetic muses, so stunning words flying here.
    well done,

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's beautiful to fly..you really brought alive your dance..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dance toward the stars-beautiful!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Degas could have painted a masterpiece from your words alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "breath like butterflies in my throat"-- exquisite!

    ReplyDelete