Thursday, November 4, 2010

Les Miserables


original cover art by Emile Bayard
For the longest time, I'd been wanting to read Victor Hugo's master work, but for one reason or another, had never picked it up. Then I saw that it was the next book assigned for my literature class, and decided to read it a few weeks ahead of time so I'd be able to enjoy it fully. I reserved it at the library, and awaited its arrival with huge anticipation.
I tried any number of tactics to distract myself - watching the musical, listening to a radio drama, (which was horrendous) and even toyed with the idea of getting an abridged copy(but forsook the notion in shame). Finally, finally it came in, and I seized it from the circulation desk, and stared down at the cover. It felt so good in my hands, like a solid brick. So many pages...(I'm drooling as I write this)
The instant I got home, I cracked it open, and began to DEVOUR it. I read it all of that evening, woke up early the next morning and read a little more.
I read the book, in bits and pieces, over a period of three days. The story of innocent Cosette, pursued Valjean,  and pursuer Javert caught hold of me, and would not let go. When it was over, I put it down, went to the computer, and reserved The Hunchback of Notre Dame. There's no way it's anywhere near as good, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. After all, if it's too depressing, I can always return to Les Miserables.

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful reading of Victor Hugo's classic, Les Miserables.

    Read by Ben Cross, widely known from his role in the movie Chariots of Fire. What a classic book, what a great listening experience.

    ReplyDelete