Monday, November 8, 2010

How I first started reading dystopian sci-fi/fantasy

It all started with The Hunger Games.
I had enjoyed Susanne Collins' Gregor the Overlander books on CD as I commuted back and forth to various commitments, and when I was looking through the library catalogue, I happened to visit her page and see that she'd written another book- the first of a trilogy, in fact- The Hunger Games. Oh, good, I thought, and reserved the book, expecting another tale of abnormally large talking beasts and maybe another underground city.

I was definitely in for a surprise. When I got the book, I skimmed the blurb on the dustjacket without really taking in the words, and began Chapter One.
Katniss Everdeen is sixteen, and her family's sole provider. She passes her weekends hunting illegally in the woods outside District Twelve. Her twelve year old sister Prim is the only spot of color in her otherwise grey existence.
Every year, the Capitol of Panem holds the Hunger Games, a punishment for the Districts' revolt almost a century ago. The rules of the Hunger Games are simple. One boy and one girl from each of the 12 Districts are incarcerated in an immense arena, and forced to fight until all but one are killed. And their families and friends are forced to watch it all on live television.
Katniss isn't really affected by the Hunger Games- until Prim is chosen for their district's girl tribute.
Katniss volunteers to take her sister's place, plunging herself into a world of intrigue and violence.
To put it simply, I LOVED The Hunger Games. I read its sequels with equal avidity. The Hunger Games trilogy led me to the Uglies series, and the Uglies series led me to the The Maze Runner. The Maze Runner led me to Incarceron...etc.
Yes, I like dystopian sci-fi/fantasy.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! I've heard a lot of great things about the hunger games trilogy, and I really want to read them. Was the underground city a reference to The City of Ember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Suzanne Collins wrote a five-book series called the Underland Chronicles. They're the story of a boy who discovers an underground world beneath New York City. There are giant bats and rats, and cockroaches- and they talk.
    That's what I was referencing...but City of Ember was a great guess!

    ReplyDelete