Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Amazing Human Chameleon (aka moi)

Chameleons are amazing creatures. They can catch prey with their long tongues in thirty thousandths of a second. Their eyes can move independently of each other, allowing them a full 360-angle view of their surroundings. And (most famously) they can change their skin colors to match their surroundings.


I can’t catch anything with my tongue but popcorn, and my eyes are bad enough as it is, so I ‘m not even going to try to imitate chameleons in that regard. But I have had the marvelous experience of changing my skin a pale shade of green.
This has only happened twice. The first time was the day before Halloween, and the second time was the day of Halloween itself. Since I was not endowed with chromatophores in my skin, as chameleons are, I had to resort to eye-shadow. Then, I dressed in black, donned a pointy hat, and went out the door.
That year, I was portraying Elphaba, the misunderstood “Wicked Witch of the West.”


This year, I turned blue. Not because I was cold, or because I managed to gain chromatophores, but because I dressed as Aayla Secura, the cerulean Twi’lek Jedi master. I love blue. I love Star Wars. It was a good night.


Who knows what I'll be next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment